Thursday, January 16, 2014

Geek & Sundry

   As some of you know, the hubby and I LOVE watching Table Top. It's where we get a lot of our game ideas. When I started blogging, I decided I would follow a bunch of the big game people with my dormant twitter account that I didn't really use for anything. Table Top is on YouTube and is under Geek and Sundry. They have a lot of geeky stuff on their channel so naturally, I decided to follow Geek and Sundry on twitter.

   A day or two later they retweeted a guy named Paul that has a vlog on their channel. He was looking for nerd crafts people have done. I got pretty excited, shot a text off to the hubby and asked if I should send in this



   That's right, the hubby and I have made a Settlers of Catan board out of Perler Beads. It took quite a while but we had fun. It was a fun little craft about something we both enjoy that we could do together after the boys were in bed. We've even played on it before!

   I got an email back from Paul a lot faster than I thought I would. He said it was super cool and asked if I could send him more pictures. I snapped a few more

   Like as if we were playing a game on it.




   Just the tiles




   All of the pieces. I made sure you can see that the city pieces stand up.




   We made a nice stand up robber, the largest army and longest road cards




   The number tiles




   All of the ports




   And just because it was Catan related and another nerd craft, I even sent him pictures of the Catan pillow I crocheted the hubs for his birthday.

   The front




   And the back





   Here's some cookies I made hubby for his birthday. He decided he wanted this instead of a cake a couple years ago.




   This morning when I got up and checked Twitter, I saw that Paul had a new vlog post up. I thought it looked pretty interesting. I mean, who wouldn't want to make themselves some comic book shoes? I figured I had a sister or two that would probably think it was pretty cool as well and I wanted to see how it was done.

   I got it ready and told the hubby we should watch it. We watched Paul make a comic book shoe in fast forward, because that's how he does his crafts on his vlog. When he was done with the shoes he started talking about how he got so many responses for the nerd craft that he was going to do some at the end of each of his upcoming vlog posts until he ran out. Then we see our Settlers board! We were SO excited! I quickly rewound the video a bit so I could show our boys. The oldest one's jaw hit the floor and the middle one asked to watch it again.

   I never figured that one day I would be into all of the geeky nerd stuff. These days though, it seems like that's about all I do. I love playing games. We have many game nights with friends and many with just our family. I love watching Star Trek with my boys every night. My little one asks to watch "tar tec" and loves to "bum bum bum" along with the music. Once in a while he will look at me and say "Pace, the final frontier". We have passed our love of games and super heroes and all things geeky onto our children and that makes me happy.

   Ok, enough of my rambling, here's the video. Feel free to let me know what you think! 
   It has been brought to my attention that the video doesn't show up on a mobile device, so here's the link.


No comments:

Post a Comment