Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Shrinky Dink Craft

   I don't know about your kids, but mine are already getting stir crazy. I wouldn't say that they LOVE school, but they like having things to do. We try and find little things for them to do that will help their imagination. Crafting is a great way to get them to use those little brains and keep them from turning into TV watching blobs.

   Saturday, Hubby and I were out on a date and we decided to hit up the craft store. Now, before you think that we are lame at coming up with date ideas, we had already had lunch and going to a store without the kiddos is a great way to reconnect and have a bit of peace and quiet. Anyway, we were looking around and came upon some Shrinky Dinks Crystal Clear paper.

   The wheel started turning and we decided we would make ourselves some Shrinky Dinks monsters for when we play King of Tokyo. What's more fun than playing with something that you created yourself?

   Last night we actually had a quiet night with nothing going on, so we pulled out some paper and pencils and got to designing. I wanted a Wolverine type monster, but didn't want to just trace one out of a coloring book. Hubby gave me the idea to make a Meeple one, so I ran with it.

   I grabbed the template for my large Meeple and got to work. I looked up a picture of Wolverine and did my best at free handing. I know it isn't the best, but isn't it awesome?


   I taped the Shrinky Dink paper over my paper (had to adjust and make my drawing a bit shorter) and then got to tracing and coloring. The more I colored the more awesome I thought it became. After I was done coloring, I cut him out. Since he was as tall and wide as the Shrinky Dink paper, I had to cut it close to the edge. The claws were a bit difficult since the plastic doesn't bend, but I managed.


   We put it into the oven and watched him shrink. I haven't made one before, so I thought it was pretty cool to watch. I now have the most awesome Shrinky Dink and can't wait to play King of Tokyo with him.


   Until then, he has a nice place to hang out on my nerd shelf!


No comments:

Post a Comment