Tuesday, February 18, 2014

It's Taco Time!!!

My family loves tacos!  Over the last few years, I have developed a recipe for taco meat that EVERYONE in my family loves.  My recipe is a little unusual.  I use lean ground turkey instead of ground beef because I can’t eat beef due to an allergy (Insert happy cow sound here!).  Not only is it tasty, but it is also much lower in fat that your typical recipe made with ground beef. 
 
Here are the ingredients:
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1 packet taco seasoning of your choice
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 1 can of nonfat refried beans
  • 1 cup chunky mild salsa
First, brown the ground turkey, drain, and return it to the pan. Then, stir the taco seasoning into the hot water and let it dissolve.  Pour the liquid into the ground turkey and stir.  Simmer until the water is gone (about 15 minutes).  Add the refried beans and salsa.  Stir and heat until bubbling.  THAT’S IT!  It is so quick and easy.  The refried beans are a yummy addition and make the increase recipe quantity.  It is like you are doubling the recipe without doubling the cost!!!! 
 
Since this is such an easy recipe, I often double it so we can have lunch leftovers throughout the week.  A great aspect of this recipe is that it can be used for more than just tacos! Of course, you can serve it with hard shell tacos or soft tortillas and all the toppings.  Add this recipe to a large tortilla with cheese and it makes a delicious burrito.  This also makes the best taco salad topping (my personal favorite).  It can even be used as just a tasty dip for tortilla chips!  I think the versatility of this recipe is why it is my family’s favorite.   The kids love that they can make their lunch or dinner however they want. 
Give this recipe a try when you get a chance!  If you are running short on time, this is a great option.  Just a note—it freezes well too.  You can freeze your extra batch for another quick dinner later on.  It only takes a few minutes to defrost.  Try freezing it in individual portions to be reheated as needed for weekend lunches or snacks. 
Here is my favorite way to enjoy this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment