Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Travel Books

   Everyone that has small children, knows how hard it is to travel. A few years ago, we were going to travel from sunny Las Vegas to Wyoming. We had three small kids at the time and I was trying to find a way to keep the older two entertained for the fourteen hour drive. Then I found a great idea! 

   I decided to make them a road trip book. I printed off some Bingo cards. I found four different ones so they wouldn't get bingo at the same time. Instead of playing it the regular way of calling out the pictures, we had to find the pictures outside. This kept them engaged and also made the game take longer.


   I also found a road trip scavenger hunt. This is another one we had to look out the window for, to find the items on the list. I never thought it would take so long to find a green car! You can also throw in some other little activities. I printed some words to practice writing, a one hundred chart to practice numbers, and a blank lined sheet of paper to practice whatever else they may want to work on. I also threw in a blank page so they could doodle on it.


   They each got a pencil bag to keep some crayons and dry erase markers in.


   If you want to be able to reuse your books, you can put all of the pages in page protectors. Then you can write on them with a dry erase marker and then wipe it right off. This also makes it so you can put it all into a binder. This keeps it handy and neat.


   Even though we made these books about three years ago, my kids still love pulling them out. They are easy to update as the kids grow up and need harder things to do. You can just print off new pages and slide them right in.

   I have also taken apart some educational books and made my four year old a book. He likes to pull it out sometimes to practice his writing and numbers. He calls it his 'homework' and likes to work on it while his older brothers do their school homework.


   There are countless activities you can do. It's also very easy and cheap to make. You just need a few items and you are ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment